Leather jackets are an investment, and if treated right, can last a lifetime and beyond. However, if you’re hoping that your jacket will last for decades, it’s essential that you take proper care of it.
Due to the nature of this material, caring for a leather jacket can seem a little daunting, but it doesn’t need to be! In fact, if you follow these three top tips, you should be able to keep your leather jacket in fantastic condition, ensuring that it lasts for years to come.
Clean With Care
When it comes to cleaning your leather jacket, it’s not as simple as just popping it in the washing machine. It’s best to start by checking the care label inside your jacket as not all leather is the same and will require different care.
There are a few rules to abide by when cleaning your leather jacket, including:
- Avoid using harsh chemicals as these can damage the finish and the colour of your jacket.
- Avoid getting your jacket too wet – it’s best to sprinkle a little water on an inconspicuous area of the jacket. If the water soaks in, avoid getting the jacket wet.
- Deal with spills as soon as possible. Leather will often soak up liquids, so this can result in unsightly stains if they are left to soak in.
- Use specialist products such as this range of leather care and cleaning products from Lakeland Leather.
The best ways to clean your jacket include gently wiping with a damp cloth and using an artist’s eraser to remove grime and marks. If in doubt, it may be best to take your jacket to a specialist cleaner.
Maintain Your Jacket
Once your leather jacket is clean, you can maintain it to make sure you get the most out of it. Your maintenance tasks don’t have to be carried out often but can be incredibly effective. These may include:
- Waterproofing – as leather is not naturally waterproof, you will need to apply treatments. These treatments usually need to be reapplied on a regular basis and it’s important to remember that even with treatments, you shouldn’t allow your jacket to become completely submerged in water.
- Applying conditioner – these products are important to the health of a leather jacket as they help to prevent it from drying out and cracking. This can also help to soften up older, tougher leather.
Find Appropriate Storage
Storage is important for leather jackets, so it’s important that you find somewhere that has the perfect conditions. When storing your leather jacket, think about these tips:
- Hang your jacket on a padded hanger – this will help to ensure that your jacket maintains its shape.
- Avoid storing your jacket in a plastic cover as this will prevent the material breathing.
- Store in a closet that is cool and dry.
- Store away from direct sunlight.
Storing your leather jacket correctly will ensure that your jacket stays in great condition even when you’re not wearing it for extended periods of time.
If you make sure that you clean, maintain and store your leather jacket properly, you can expect to have a jacket that stays in great condition for many more years.